Tuesday, August 4, 2009

5.04 PM

If you are wondering what the title is, its four minutes past 5 o clock now. Somewhere during my writing...ah yes... its 5 minutes past 5 now. Just to make a point that time and tide wait for none. It also made me notice another thing, it took me one minute to complete one sentence!! I am slow as a snail. It might also be because of the fact that my boss walked past and I had to minimize the window to obscure my activity (OK am not sure the sentence makes much sense, if its not......you could comment and we can settle the matter amicably. Again in my defense I not here to hurt your sentiments on the English language!)

To give a brief background, I am at office trying to kill the penultimate and the ultimate hours. To make is sound simple(trust me ...its not as simple as it sounds!!!), the last two hours at office. Its when the productivity has hit an all time lull. Its the time period after the last tea break for the day and one has run out of reasons to leave the seat (of course the rest room visit before treading the blissful road back home is pretty much the only savior. (the damn Fire fox does not let me spell the words the right way..and there I was apologizing! :))

5.14 PM

Today was rather a weird day at office....I spent almost the entire day working on this extremely convoluted software called Primavera. Its one of the best products available in the market to handle construction projects (any kind of project for that matter) of mountainous magnitudes. Nevertheless it has failed to appeal to me in all ways. I was asked to work on a project using this software today. Though i fail to appreciate its potential, I will offer my reverence to all those people who worked on its development and all the people who have mastered its application. This tool is a classic example of the evolution of man and machines and the intricate ties that exist between these two entities. (Personifying the machines in this context would not seem so out of line!). The scope of Primavera is so larger than life, that having a complete understanding of the tool has become impossible! A few may argue that this line of thought does not make much sense given the fact that I am a neophyte and lack the expertise to comment on it.

I agree. This is merely from a neophyte's perspective. But at this moment all I can think of is this, its a tool, created by men to ease things out. Some how its becoming an addiction and the importance being given to it is almost absurdly redundant!!

I asked Pa if they used Primavera in his company. He said no. For a moment I thought how they managed to run a big firm without using the software, but ultimately I was relieved...Some tools are being developed to make things easy and this is taking us away from the basics...from the hard facts and the right ways of learning things.

Wish one could learn how to have the best of both worlds....come to think of it...today it would be.... the best of how many ever worlds there are!

5.30 PM
Treading the blissful road back home (with a certain boss who has been ever so kind to me :) )

1 comment:

  1. yay mami!!! the blog is getting too technical and office centric (do we need to discuss primavera here??) get some life into it! we need to read some stories from outside office

    anyways... good first 3... waiting for number 4 to unwind

    ReplyDelete